Volunteers at Henderson Memorial Public Library supplement the work performed by paid library staff. They provide support services to staff and/or work on special projects. Volunteering provides an opportunity for personal satisfaction in serving the community through the library.
- A volunteer is someone who serves without remuneration in wages, benefits or other compensation (including travel expenses).
- A volunteer is not covered by the library’s workers compensation coverage.
- If a volunteer uses his/her car for library services (such as delivery to homebound patrons), he/she must show proof of car insurance and a valid driver’s license.
- A volunteer must fill out a volunteer registration/agreement form (see attached). For a minor child (under 18 years of age), a parent or guardian must also sign the form.
- Volunteers provide services “at-will.” This means the library or the volunteer can terminate his/her services at any time.
- Volunteers shall follow the same behavior as employees as they represent the library to the public.
- Volunteers must adhere to library policies and procedures as they represent the library.
- Volunteers must maintain confidentiality of patrons.
- Volunteers must be approved by the Director or his/her designee.
- Volunteers report to the Director or his/her designee.
- References will be checked for volunteers by the Director or his/her designee.
- Volunteer activities include, but are not limited to, delivery of material to homebound patrons, cleaning materials, working on the obituary index, making copies, sending faxes, assisting with book sales, and helping with children and adult programs.
- If a volunteer will not be available on a particular day or time, they should notify the director or his/her designee as soon as possible.
Approved by Henderson Memorial Public Library Board of Trustees, Sep. 13, 2005
Volunteer Registration/Agreement Form
Name _____________________________________________Date _____________
City ___________________________ State ________________ Zip _____________
Name Phone # Relationship to volunteer
Is vehicle used for volunteering? _____
Proof of driver’s license ______ Proof of car insurance ______ (Copies made of both)
Documentation of hours needed? _____
Emergency Contact _______________________________________ Phone __________
I have read the volunteer policy and agree to comply with it. I also agree to
- Accept the decisions of staff
- Stay within the bounds of volunteer responsibilities
Volunteer’s Signature Date
Parent/Guardian Signature (required for minors) Date
Director’s Signature Date
References Checked ____ Staff Initial ____
Sep. 13, 2005